Green Bean Casserole is a Thanksgiving must-have in our home. Try this delicious take on a classic side dish for Turkey Day!
- 2 Lbs Fresh Green Beans, Trimmed
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, Divided
- 2 White Onions, Diced
- 1 1/2 Lbs Portabella Mushroom, Sliced and Stemmed
- 5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth,
- 3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, Plus 1/4 Cup
- 1 Cup Fried Onions
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Boil salted water in a large pot. Blanch the Green Beans for 10 Minutes, or until they become tender and bright green.
- Melt 4 Tablespoons Butter over High Heat in a Large Pan. Add the Mushrooms and cook until they have browned, about 5 Minutes or so. Set aside the mushrooms.
- Sauté Onions and Garlic in the pan, until they are soft and translucent. Bring Mushrooms back into the pan.
- Empty your mixture from the pan into the Casserole Dish with the Green Beans. Wipe the pan.
- Melt the remaining Butter in the same pan. Stir in Flour and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Milk, Heavy Cream, Salt, Pepper, Chicken Broth and 3/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese to the pan. Stirring well to combine the ingredients. Cook on Medium Low Heat for 10 Minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Pour sauce over the vegetables in the Casserole Dish. Toss everything well to coat.
- Add 1/4 Parmesan Cheese on top before covering with Foil.
- Bake for 20 Minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 Minutes.
- Top with Fried Onions and Serve.