The combination of Caramelized Onions and flavorful Gruyere Cheese perfects this chicken dish.
- 2 Lbs Vidalia Onions, Sliced
- 2 Lbs Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Gruyere Cheese, Grated
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Sage
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper, To Taste
Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Add 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil in an ovenproof skillet over Medium Heat.
- Add Onions and season with Salt and Pepper. Cook the Onions for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Pour Balsamic Vinegar into the pan, cook until the onions darken, careful not to burn them. This should take about 3 to 5 Minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add remaining Olive Oil to the skillet and place over Medium Heat. Add Minced Garlic to the pan and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Season Chicken Breasts with Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Thyme and Sage. Sear in the skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Pour Chicken Broth into the skillet. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan while cooking.
- Lower heat to Medium Low. Add Flour into the skillet and whisk until smooth. Let it cook for 5 to 7 Minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
- Bring the Chicken and Onions back to the pan. Stir together. Top with Grated Cheese.
- Put the Skillet into the oven and cook until the Cheese and melted and Chicken is cooked through.
- Serve and Enjoy!