Strawberry Shortcakes easy to make from scratch and Homemade Whipped Cream...Yum!
- 1 1/4 Lb Strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1/4 Teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 2 Cups Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar, Divided
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Cold, Cubed
- 1 Cup Buttermilk, Plus 1 1/2 Tablespoons, Divided
- Flaky Sea Salt for Topping
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Candied Lemon peel for Topping (optional)
Note: Prep Strawberries the night before to properly marinate.
Helpful Tip: Keep your mixture for the biscuit cold to keep the butter firm before baking.
- Clean, Hull and Quarter your Strawberries. Toss them in a medium sized bowl.
- Add Sugar, Lemon Zest and Salt. Allow Strawberries to Marinate overnight.
- Whisk Flour, 3 Tablespoons Sugar, Baking Powder and Salt together in a large bowl. Add the Cubed Butter.
- Mix the ingredients together using our hands until the butter crumbles into pea sized pieces.
- Add 1 Cup Buttercream. Mix to combine.
- Bring your mixture to a clean surface. Pat the dough down to about 3/4” Thick rectangle. Slice into 8 squares. With a pastry brush, top the squares with 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Buttermilk. Sprinkle with a Tablespoon of Sugar and Flaky Salt.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Baking time will vary due to size of biscuits. Keep a close eye to make sure they do not burn, and test to make sure they are cooked through.
- While allowing biscuits to cool, whip together until peak forms.
- Split the biscuits and serve with Strawberries and Whipped Cream.
- Top with candied Lemon. Serve and Enjoy!