Important: How Trucchi’s is Caring for Our Home Team & Yours
0 Cart
Added to Cart
    You have items in your cart
    You have 1 item in your cart
      Total
      The Story Behind the Supermarkets

      William Trucchi Sr. claimed that friendship was the key to his success. He took pride in his dedication to his consumers, often saying, "We know many of our customers. It's important to give them that little extra." He also took pride in his loyal employees and it is philosophy that kept William's dream alive.

      1928

      The story of Trucchi's Supermarkets is that of one man's dedication to making his dream a reality. It was July 1, 1928 when his dream first took flight. At the mere age of sixteen, with $500 he had borrowed from his Italian immigrant parents, William. M. Trucchi Sr. opened his first store on Tremont Street in Taunton, Massachusetts. It was the size of a small house and went under the name Hometown Stores.

      1929 - 1931

      With hard work and determination William's fledgling business weathered the depression. It was during those hard times that William truly understood the importance of others, as the faithfulness and loyalty of local customers helped sustain his business through difficult times. Often he would extend credit to those who were unable to pay, establishing a bond with his neighborhood patrons.

      1932

      By 1932 the business started to expand. It became necessary to enlarge Hometown Stores in 1939. The house connected to the store was torn down, and with a new addition in its place the store became twice the size of the original. William remodeled the store once more in 1947 and at this time changed the name from Hometown Stores to Tremont Super Market.

      1952

      Tremont Super Market grew rapidly. In 1952, with the idea in mind of creating his own distribution center, William decided to purchase R. F. Owens Company, a wholesale grocery company located on Montello Street in Brockton.

      1957

      The Montello Street building, although adequate at the time, quickly became overcrowded. In 1957 William purchased ten acres of land on Broadway in Raynham upon which he erected a modern warehouse to better service his customers.

      1962

      Even with the Raynham warehouse, William realized more space was needed. This led to the purchase a building on Chandler Ave. in Taunton in 1962. This same year, Trucchi's Discount Food Store was opened in the center of West Bridgewater. Customers flocked from miles around. After four years of steady growth the need for expansion was apparent. Fortunately for William Star Markets was selling sixty acres of land only a short distance from the old store. Shortly after acquiring this land he built a new, larger, more modern market and named it Trucchi's Supermarket.

      1965

      With continued growth, the Chandler Ave. building required expansion in 1965.

      1967

      Taunton's first shopping center was created by William in 1967. In addition to the newly constructed Tremont St. market, it housed a Laundromat, beauty salon, barber shop, pharmacy and sporting goods store.

      1971

      In 1971 William obtained land and a small store on County St. in Taunton from his brother-in-law Joseph Bisio. The building was razed to make way for another Trucchi's supermarket.

      1975

      The North Abington store was originally a First National store, which William purchased in 1975.

      1982

      In 1982, at the age of sixty-nine, William Trucchi Sr. died. Due to his dexterous accomplishments, the way was paved for a second generation to assume leadership in a company that was once only a dream.

      1983

      The North Abington store, purchased 8 years earlier, was modernized in 1983 in order to provide more retail space.

      1986

      Since William's death the business has continued to prosper, prompting continued renovation and construction. In 1986, to achieve a more efficient operation, the warehouse in Raynham was modernized and expanded. The warehouse on Chandler Ave. was sold, thereby consolidating the distribution center under one roof.

      1988

      The County Street store was expanded in 1988, growing from 9,000 to 43,000 square feet. An entirely new market was built around the existing market. Aside from the expansion of every department, a complete bakery and fish department were created.

      1992

      In 1992, the store at Tremont Street and the entire shopping plaza encompassing other stores was expanded and modernized. The Supermarket, with a 55,000 square foot area, became Trucchi's largest store.

      1995

      In December of 1995, the Trucchi family placed a bid on a former Almacs store located on Acushnet Ave. in New Bedford.

      1996

      In March of 1996 it was clear that the old Almacs building would house Trucchi's number five. Cleanup and renovations began immediately, and on June 8, 1996, Trucchi's in New Bedford opened it's doors. On September 8, 1996 the Abington store celebrated their re-grand opening. A number of departments and services were added to make Abington a full service store.

      1998

      In 1998, renovations for the West Bridgewater store were completed. The re-grand opening was celebrated February 28, 1998. The existing 18,977 square foot structure was replace with a 41,934 square foot full service market. At no time did Trucchi's close it's doors during construction. Both the construction crew and the Trucchi's crew worked hand and hand to ensure the stores performance was not hindered. The remodeling of the West Bridgewater store has rendered five full-service Trucchi's locations for the Trucchi family. This accomplishment was completed, with pride, by the devoted employees of Trucchi's.

      2002

      In June 2002, our Abington location was renovated for a second time. This renovation project improved and expanded the deli, meat department, bakery and entranceway. The renovation has made it easier for our customers to navigate the store. The most noticeable changes to the store were nostalgic photos, carpet and hard wood floors.

      2004

      During 2004, the New Bedford location received new meat cases and a freezer update: A triple-decker meat case replaced the old single case in front of the meat department window. This gives the department more room to display, more product. Downstairs, an existing cooler was removed and new freezer walls were installed to create a larger freezer that can be used by multiple departments. Always tight for space, our Abington store received a 20 by 40 foot freezer, which nearly doubled the small stores backroom freezer space.